Stephen Seddon murder trial: a man who didn’t know when was enough

The cool Stephen Seddon would stop at nothing to fuel his greed.

Raised on the Broomwood Estate of Timperley, Seddon was adored by his parents, who gave him all they could.

But, by the age of 13, Seddon had already started a life of crime – home burglary and car theft.

By the late 90s he seemed to have put his criminal past behind him, creating a successful business that secured European grants for northern companies.

He loved champagne with a chauffeured Bentley, a Porsche, a boat moored in the Lake District and luxury cruises on the QE2.

But, in 1999, it emerged that the Seddon Empire was built on fraud and he was jailed, leaving behind a series of creditors.

After his release he held several sales positions and most recently worked as an electoral agent for his friend Paul Massey, once described as the ‘Mr Big’ of Salford, in his bid to become the town’s mayor.

But, he was increasingly dependent on his parents for money after being fired from his last sales job and still determined to live the high life.

Despite being given thousands of pounds by his parents, the reckless Seddon squandered the money and began plotting to get his hands on his inheritance.

He knew that the remortgage deal his parents had made to help him meant that the longer they lived, the less their estate would be worth.

Patricia and Robert Seddon with their son Stephen ‘Nic’ Seddon

On March 20, he made his first attempt to kill them, luring the couple and their grandson into his car under the pretext of a Mother’s Day meal, then driving them into the canal.

When the offer failed, Seddon helped save his nephew and his father. But despite posing as a hero in the press, Seddon was determined to finish what he had started and soon began plotting to kill them again.

In June of last year, Seddon was already talking about his parents as if they were dead. When called to his son’s school to discuss the boy’s disruptive behavior, he began to brag that he was going to receive an inheritance that he would use to “fix it”.

Although broke and had to go to payday lenders for money, Seddon also started planning to buy a pub in Seaham, bragging to locals that he an inheritance of £ 250,000.

After the bodies of Seddon’s parents were found, police contacted Seddon – and their response was generally self-interested.

“What am I going to do now – I’m going to lose the house, the house, the mortgage is in my father’s name,” he said.

Police at the Clough Avenue house, Dirty
Police at the Clough Avenue house, Dirty

He quickly began to feign distress, telling witnesses that he couldn’t believe someone wanted to shoot two “harmless old women” and that he couldn’t believe his father would kill his mother.

Following the murder, Seddon had calmly returned to Seaham, County Durham, bought some beer and joined his wife and two youngest children at a trailer park in Fleetwood.

It would be Seddon’s last vacation before he was arrested and locked up.

And like so many other things he enjoyed, the trailer had been bought and paid for by his devoted mother and father.

Comments are closed.