Nice, Marseille match abandoned after throwing bottles and “attacked players”


Nice (France) (AFP) – The Ligue 1 match between Nice and Marseille was scrapped on Sunday when local supporters invaded the pitch and angrily faced opponent Dimitri Payet, who threw a bottle at him in the crowd. before a nasty fight breaks out involving players and spectators.

Marseille ultimately refused to resume the game with club officials claiming their players had been attacked and their safety could not be guaranteed.

The unrest at the Allianz Riviera stadium erupted in the 75th minute when Marseille star Payet, who had been the target of plastic bottles every time he took a corner kick, threw one back at Nice fans.

Angry home fans then climbed onto the pitch, threatening Payet before the referee led the two teams to the safety of the locker room.

In the fray, the Marseillais Alvaro Gonzalez and Matteo Guendouzi ran to the end of the field to face the supporters.

The friendly skipper Dante then tried to calm the angry supporters.

A security cordon of stewards, dressed in yellow vests, tried to stem the invasion of the field before a brawl broke out between the players of the two teams, supporters and staff.

Marseille coach Jorge Sampaoli has been seen by his staff and players.

Eighty minutes after the match was suspended, Nice, who led thanks to a goal from Kasper Dolberg, said they wanted to start again.

Marseille, however, wanted the game to be abandoned for good.

“The decision was taken by the authorities to resume the match, but Marseille does not want to,” Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivere told Prime Video channel.

According to a source, referee Benoit Bastien also opposed a restart.

“I don’t think the match will resume,” said Nice coach Christophe Galtier.

“We have just been told that the Marseille players have already showered.

Eventually the match was abandoned when the Marseille team refused to return to the pitch.

“Our players have been attacked,” said Marseille President Pablo Longoria.

“We decided for the safety of our players, who were attacked during the invasion of the pitch, not to resume the game because the safety of our players was not guaranteed.”

Marseille’s first 3-2 win at Montpellier two weeks ago was also delayed when fans bombarded the pitch with bottles.

This clash at the Mosson stadium in Montpellier was interrupted in the 89th minute after Marseille substitute Valentin Rongier was hit in the head.

Florent Mollet of Montpellier was also hit as he was about to take a corner.


Comments are closed.