Football-Lyon v Marseille abandoned after Payet was hit by a bottle


Payet, who according to the French League (LFP) was also the subject of “discriminatory insults”, left the field with an ice pack on his head.

The stadium announcer had initially announced that the match would resume, following a decision taken by the local authorities in Lyon.

This was immediately criticized by the LFP in a statement, in which the body also indicated that it was convening an emergency meeting of its disciplinary committee on Monday.

In chaotic scenes, the Lyon players took to the pitch to warm up, but Jorge Sampaoli’s Marseille remained in the locker room and the match was ultimately called off.

“The referee believes the safety conditions are not being met,” the stadium announcer said.

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas criticized the decision to abandon the match.

“The referee first said that the game could resume and he changed his mind after the violent reaction from Marseille, especially that of his coach,” said Aulas.

“I think the conditions were right to resume play after the individual’s arrest. He is in custody. “

His Marseille counterpart Pablo Longoria said Payet was “psychologically affected” by the incident and explained that the club had asked Buquet to control his players before potentially resuming the game.

“We asked him to check the psychological state of our players. He didn’t want to go see the players.

The referee said his “sporting decision” was not to restart the game, but there were other things to consider. “It’s a full stadium, players to be evacuated,” he said.

“My decision was to cancel the game. We have to take our responsibilities and that’s what I did tonight.

Ligue 1 has been marked by crowd problems this season.

Nice received two points, including one suspended, after serious incidents in their match against Marseille, whose players clashed with home fans who bombarded them with missiles and burst onto the pitch in August.

The northern derby between RC Lens and Lille was also hit by crowd problems in September, with the start of the second half being delayed by around half an hour after rival supporters tossed objects at each other before people rushed to the field, provoking riot police. and the stewards to intervene.

There were also crowd problems in Montpellier, Angers, Marseille and St Etienne.

“Now we need to all sit down together and have a chat so that these incidents do not happen again,” Longoria said.

(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Toby Davis)


Comments are closed.